When you’re a homeowner, there are good days and there are bad days. Some days, you get some painting done, you put a piece of Ikea furniture together, and you feel like you’re on top of the world. Then there are days like today, when you set out to do something seemingly simple, but seven hours and two trips to Home Depot later, you’re ready to throw up your hands, sell the house and move back into a nice little snug apartment.
Before I get too into today’s annoyances, I should finally post some photos of the office, which we’ve been working on for a few weeks on and off. We had been working on the guest room but after finding some pretty serious wall damage we opted to move onto a room that would give us more immediate gratification. We figure the office mainly just needed a coat of paint, so we dove in and finished over the course of a few days:
Our plan for today was to hang some shelves in the office to put cds on. We have a somewhat extensive cd collection, so we thought if we had a wall of shelves placed close together, we could accommodate them all, and there’s a niche in the room that we thought would be perfect.
We made a trip to Lowes to pick up some brackets, wood planks and various hanging hardware and masonry drill bits. I did some research and found out that most rowhomes here have outside walls that are just brick covered with plaster, no studs or any other secure masses to drill into. So our only option was masonry anchors, which I don’t have complete confidence in our ability to insert properly.
We got home and brought the shelves up to the room, only to realize the importance of the old adage “measure twice, cut once.” Too short.
A second trip over to Home Depot (I couldn’t face the wood cutting guy at Lowes again) to get more planks. A huge hole in the plaster due to using a drill bit that was too big for the anchor. Then miraculously, we were able to drill three separate holes that actually lined up with the brackets!
Before hanging any more, we figured it would be best to load it up with cds and see if the whole thing came tumbling down during the night.
As we sat there staring at our handiwork, we counted the number of cds that one shelf holds and came to the realization that due to the height of the brackets, we can only fit about 6 shelves maximum. Not enough to hold all of our cds.
We are quickly realizing that one of our biggest downfalls is our complete inability to successfully work out details ahead of time. Pretty much every time we’ve set out to do anything, we wind up having to rework the entire thing, which always involves several trips to the hardware store and lots of wasted money. Sometimes we can laugh it off, and sometimes I wind up cursing and crying. Today was a bit of both.
In the end we are probably going to wind up just getting more freestanding bookshelves to hold our cds and scrap the wall shelf idea.
So I sure am glad we spent an entire Saturday and $100 to figure that out.
On the upside, we figured the best way to cheer ourselves up was to give up for tonight, watch Anchorman, and dress Franny up in her kimono.