I have a confession to make. I HATE my craft room. Hate it. It makes me really not want to craft. It’s a constant disorganized mess. It doesn’t feel comfortable or welcoming or conducive to creativity.
Let’s dissect things, shall we?
1. I just have way too much crap, which is sort of ironic because I seem to have mountains of supplies but never what I need at that moment.
3. I’ve had a giant half-dead plant hanging around up there for ages that just doesn’t want to die. Dead plants are bad feng shui.
4. I have this wall of bookshelves for storage, but I’ve never been able to find the right kinds of storage boxes to put things in. I also just can’t seem to find the right method for grouping things together:
5. I have this old Ikea dining table in the middle, which is a decent size but a little wobbly and, I don’t know, just not a great table for crafting. I also have additional boxes of crap sitting under the table – clothes that don’t fit “yet”, clothes that I’ve told myself I’m going to alter into something else, clothes that need to be mended, empty photo albums, random craft supplies I’ve inherited. It means that putting the chair under the table doesn’t work so well, and it also means that tumbleweeds of dust and animal hair accumulate around the boxes:
6. I have the old Klackbo chair, which I do really like, and I thought I’d keep it up here as a comfy reading chair, but let’s face it, rather than reading in it, I just use it to stack piles of transient crap that have no home, including stuff from my old desk at work, mail that needs to be filed, and a box of old papers underneath that need to be filed or shredded or something:
7. I have this closet that goes way back into inaccessible crevices, and that I haven’t really found the proper storage solution for. Right now it’s full of things that won’t fit anywhere else, stuff from the wedding, old wrapping paper, etc:
8. It might also have to do with the fact that it’s a located on the generally unpleasant third floor, where the walls are unpainted, the office is a disaster, the hallway is strewn with unhung artwork that I don’t even like anymore, and the ugly linoleum floor is peppered with dust bunnies, stray kitty litter and cat food bits:
9. I think honestly one of my biggest problems is that I just don’t do enough crafting to use up any of these supplies that I keep accumulating. But again, I don’t really do enough crafting because my craft room isn’t conducive to crafting. But it’s not conducive to crafting because it’s too full of crap because I don’t do enough crafting to get rid of the crap. AAAGGGHHHH!!!!
Ok, so here’s what I *do* like about it:
I like the wall color I picked, a nice fresh minty green. And of course it would look more fresh if I painted the trim a nice fresh white. I like the shelves, because they’re not too high so they don’t overwhelm the room. But that’s pretty much it.
Any ideas folks? I could really use your help on this one. How do I make this tiny room into a more comfortable, inviting and productive space?